Looks kind of dumb, so it's very Star Wars alright. (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 20, 2019, 11:38 (1804 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I like your take on a lot of this stuff, but I did want to talk about this first point:

She even loses her temper and beats him in a duel.

Whoa whoa whoa! No. Watch that scene again. While Rey does get the upper hand in the end by wielding her lightsaber vs Luke's walking stick, Luke was clearly toying with her up until then. It was very nearly the "dueling with one hand while stifling a yawn with the other" trope. He easily blocks and dodges her first few attacks then hits her in the back. He fends off her next attacks and then catches her staff and disarms her, throwing her staff away from her. That is not Luke being beat. If he'd had a lightsaber he would have equally embarrassed her. I enjoy the heck out of that scene because it shows that Luke still has it. That he was still the master in the moments he allowed himself to be.

I think, in this case, you might be reading what you want to see into the scene. I see literally nothing in that scene to suggest that Luke is the one in control. If anything, he looks genuinely afraid. My read on that scene is that Luke is reluctant to fight, only really trying to defend himself, but then starts to see that Rey’s attacks are growing ferocious to the point where he is in real danger. She literally knocks him off his feet. Yes, he does use the force to cushion his fall, showing that he is not utterly defeated, but I see no evidence that he is toying with her. Like vs Kylo? THAT is what toying with an opponent looks like. But I don’t see anything in his scrap with Rey that suggests he is anything other than on the defensive, and possibly desperate.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread