Hellblade (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 03, 2019, 18:01 (1820 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm likely going to do one more run on Xbox to get that 100% I accidentally missed. Eager to see how Cheap feels when he finishes.

I really liked it! Honestly, it's right up there with The Last of Us, in terms of games I really feel are "art."

The Garm section was incredible. It really is amazing to me that I can know the game is designed so that I'll always make it to the next section of light before Garm gets me, but it's still terrifying every time.

Yep! I've played its a few times and I still get to the next light and only the next light. I think it's the pictures of Senua cowering / in pain that flash on screen that does it. They nailed that effect, for sure.

I mostly liked the last section. Fighting on those platforms, surrounded, with the great music felt truly epic. The very last fight, however, feel really flat. Obviously you're supposed to die, but the game just spawns enemies immediately behind you. It felt cheap. But worse, it also wasn't hard. I guess it fits with the theme, in that I wasn't defeated--I had to willingly let go and die voluntarily. But it still just feels bad.

I love the music. Epic is exactly how I'd describe it. I also like that in those fights Senua has a new animation for standing back up after being knocked down. Instead of being wounded and one step away from giving up on the ground, she rolls back onto her feet and continues to fight with a much shorter delay. I think you can still be killed in the first platforms if you play badly enough, but for the most part you are kinda invincible. It works so well along side Senua's evolved sense of sell worth and courage. I love it!

I still don't like the Surtr area. In the grand scheme of things, it's fine, but it's still a bummer, and, honestly, it might be enough to prevent me from playing through the game again. Maybe not, though. We'll see in a year.

I like the story bits that Druth narrates, but yeah, there's the least amount of gameplay going on there than any of the other sections. Honestly, I don't mind it at all, but I can totally see why you might have stopped there the first time without knowing how long it was or what was coming after.

I really loved this game, but part of me would still really like to see what a real AAA $60 version of it would be like. Expand the combat mechanics a bit (although, I did really end up enjoying the combat in the game), expand on some of the areas for reforging Gramr. I'm not really sure the game would benefit from that, though. As it is, just about everything is compelling without overstaying its welcome. I'm not sure it would work as a 30 or even 20 hour game quite as well.

Right. And that's why I call it "perfect." Is it completely perfect? Nah. But for the most part it achieves what it set out to achieve in that way that it's really really hard to fault them for not doing more. Like you say, more might have been too much. The acting is incredible. The gameplay is good and has just enough variation that it doesn't overstay its welcome. The combat is good enough that I kinda wouldn't mind a second game where Senua just revenges it up some more without all the emotional turmoil.

And... speaking of story... here's what I think happened:

Anyway, I love the game. It set a new bar for emotionally charged acting and showed the depths of storytelling that can now be achieved with video game level facial capture and rendering. And it did it without being a massive AAA money waster. Ninja Theory turned a profit early and went on to continue to sell the game first on the PS4, the the XBone, and now on even the Switch. So, it was a big success story in more ways than one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread