Looks kind of dumb, so it's very Star Wars alright. (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 06, 2019, 17:38 (1816 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It’s a sloppy movie more concerned with fucking with expectations from one minute to the next because of some juvenile idea that the hero’s journey is somehow antiquated and needs to be subverted.

I mean . . . the hero's journey literally is antiquated.

Let Star Wars do something else for once without taking it so personally.

I'm not saying you have to enjoy it . . . but you also don't have to be so mad at it.

Can... opened......... worms... everywhere ;p

Gotta disagree with you re: the hero’s journey. Assuming I have the same understanding of the word “antiquated” as you do, that is.

The hero’s journey doesn’t need subverting, because the things that make a “hero” have not changed. I’m all for updating stories so that they better reflect the times in which they are told (which I believe is what the creators of The Last Jedi *thought* they were doing), but if someone’s updated version of the hero’s journey includes the removal of key elements of heroic development, well then it simply isn’t a hero’s journey anymore.

Personally, I don’t think TLJ totally undermined the hero’s journey as completely as some people feel. I just think the way it played with the various elements in such chaotic and haphazard ways shows that the filmmakers don’t fully understand the themes they were dealing with.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread