Side note, from someone with no skin in this game (Off-Topic)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, April 22, 2019, 14:31 (1824 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sometimes it also happens that someone doubles down on an absolute. "Literally nothing" is a straight up conversation ender.

So... Cruel used those two words, in that order, yes... but not in a vacuum. He didn't say "there is literally nothing" - he said "I see literally nothing". That's not a conversation ender - that's an opportunity for you to say "here's what I saw, how does that differ from what you saw?"

You'd have the same general conversation as you had - but without the resentment. He's not trying to shut you down, he's saying that from his point of view, it's pretty cut and dried. There is ALWAYS an implied "change my mind!" in there, I think - but if you respond with "well, if that's your view, I can't even talk to you", the conversation DOES end.

I guess what I'm saying is, it DOES look, from the outside, like one of you is being super-rigid... but it ain't Cruel. :)

I think "wait a second... time out, let me explain my thought process" posts earlier in these threads would help.

Yes, yes, and more yes! This sort of thing helps a lot, and keeps us from reacting to perceived slights; it can be made clear what, specifically, you're reacting to, and the other participants can chime in with "oh, that's not what I meant at all" if they want to.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread