An elitist film for elitists? (Off-Topic)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 12:31 (1787 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm talking about a kind of elitist audience, who believe that a sign of good art is that it makes statements about issues like, for instance, a wealthy ruling class.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're asserting that criticizing the wealthy ruling class is elitist?

Surely, you can see the irony of Hollywood filmmakers criticizing the rich and powerful?

So it's bad because they themselves are elite? I don't follow that logic.

These filmmakers ARE the elite. Heck, by worldwide standards, almost everyone in America is the “elite”. And by historic standards, most people alive today are the “elite”.

Why the hell would we care about "historic standards"???? What?

There is certainly PLENTY of corruption going on that is dangerous and harmful and needs to be addressed. But there’s an element to how this topic often gets discussed that is deeply influenced by jealousy, pure and simple.

“Down with the 1%!”

“Which 1%?”

“The 1% that have more than I do!”

Wow that is massive oversimplification of that movement. Who the hell was asking "which 1%" let alone answering "The 1% that have more than I do". Like are you going to catch them by asking "1% wealthiest americans or 1% worldwide? huh, got you there" and it's like yeah sure, the top 1% wealthiest worldwide owe it to the other 99% to make it a more humane world. What is wrong with that? Do you think I'd give a damn if I was wrapped up in the 1%? Hell no.

Corruption should be the focus. And rich, powerful people who are also corrupt are very dangerous. But as soon as we begin to conflate wealth with corruption, things get real nasty, real fast. We end up persecuting the innocent. It also draws attention away from the reality that there is corruption at ALL levels of society, not just the rich.

Wealth is power, I'm sorry if I'm pre-occupied by the corruption of the most powerful part of society. Like it is seriously disturbing that we're arguing over whether it's ok to criticize the elite...

Look, I'm sorry this movie was mean to wealthy people.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread