Further clarification as requested (DBO)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 22, 2018, 19:44 (2293 days ago) @ Xenos

Having read every comment (because, you know, I don't just want to hide under a rock from the scary people who disagree with me), I still think it's an extremely dumb move. However, I do often have to remind myself that there are some very sensitive people, so I can understand how some of them might think that this is a great idea.

The option is completely opt-in not opt-out.

That's such a stupid argument, man. Let's apply it to real life:

Oh, you're going to your political debates? Don't worry, you can mute people on the other party! Does this make debate more difficult and impossible to find a middle ground, while promoting willful ignorance? Nonsense! It's opt-in! Most people will surely not even use it, therefore, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!

And I already know that it's by Thread, not by individual post. I never said anything that implied that. Still, with an admin's itchy finger on the trigger, entire worthwhile threads can be completely hidden from people who might otherwise engage, since it juuuust so happened to be too critical of the game for the admin who decided to admin.

If people make no changes they will see every single post on the forum. However if some people wish to not see negativity on a forum where they want to discuss what they are doing in the game, or fan fiction, or videos, or gifs about Destiny, then I think we can make that possible without doing something ridiculous like banning the people who clearly want a place to discuss their problems with the game and/or Bungie.

See, you're whining about all this negativity, but what have you or the people that want this filter done to bring more positivity to the forum? Where is this wonderful engagement that you claim to be missing out on because it gets lost in the apparently endless sea of toxic posts? It's an overreaction triggered by Claude feeling exasperated by the general negativity all around. Heck, I can't even share this useful Fallout review of the Graviton Forfeit, because even he is full of salt towards Bungie and D2 in the video. I GET IT. I understand exactly where Claude and others are coming from, and so a dialogue is needed.

Throwing in a filter to drown out dissenting opinions (remember that you specifically chose the term "Criticism") is not the solution.
The dialogue and conversations in this thread are a step towards a solution, and are something that the people of the forum have had as adults, because the people here are adults, though some want to cover their ears and go 'la-la-la' while they wait for someone else to make the Forum better for them, and a couple of the admins who don't even engage around here anyway decided that they automagically know what's best for the entire community.

If Claude agreed to it, then it's whatever, because it's his forum (though from the way he worded it, I don't get the feeling that he had the final say). But I say it's discouraging, and will just make folks think twice about starting their own threads if they're not here to sing songs about Bungie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread