Seeing isn't enough. Reflec- & Precogni-tion are needed too. (DBO)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 15:54 (2293 days ago) @ Claude Errera

but I think it might turn this place back into what it was started as - a home for people who loved Bungie and their games.

It's sad that you think it's NO LONGER a home for people who love Bungie and their games.

But what if it can't go back? The fans are ever changing. Bungie is ever changing. Their games are ever changing.

Maybe a natural death is in order at some point if the community can't sustain itself.

Sure, that's a possibilty, and sure, I was thinking about walking away yesterday, letting it 'die a natural death', or change into something else, or whatever. (Still am, I guess, though I'm a bit less sure after some of this discussion.)

I guess we'll see.

Me thinks you underestimate the influence of your hosting symbiosis. A quality of character + 20 years will do that, always will. Time tends to such affects. Like it or not, you're one of the village elders. A constant flame in what you created.

As I said yesterday in reply to the post that sparked all this, you aren't going to be host forever. It isn't a pleasant conversation, but it's an honest one to have.

My oft-mentioned original internet home, Halomods, didn't have a plan. TO what I recall, as I'm talking mid-2000s here; When the founding admin Grenadiac parted ways with the site (as he became a father), the atmosphere of the site changed. This would happen again and again intill Halomods got a host who was clueless beyond clueless. That's when the site burned down. Sacked like so many barbarians in Rome. I should note there were also external factors that effected the site, as it's far easier to mod PC then Console simply by access alone.

I'll end this hope of incite by saying, the only reason Halomods still exists on the live net at all is due to kornman00 saving the remaining data that wasn't lost from incompetence. It's a dead site now all in all, an archive.

A monument to all our sins. V_V

I don't want that to happen here. I don't want to see such things happen again to an internet community. Scattered to the winds. As others have said, this place is a gem on the net. How do we keep it? And can we?

All said, there is my 2¢.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread