Maybe a little confusion here (DBO)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 12:29 (2292 days ago) @ Korny

And the folks around here tend to pretentiously turn up their nose at those other places, so you can understand why the same complaints are made here as well. But yeah, video games are supposed to be about fun, and getting your time and money's worth out of the product that you bought (two areas where Bungie has clearly stumbled for a passionate segment of the community). Sometimes being a part of a community helps both of those things, and sometimes it's just an outlet for people to express their own creativity or thoughts. All good things, which is why I don't like that some people are given the power to hide the thoughts that some have from others, just because they don't want to hear anything that doesn't conform to the way they want to think.

Which is what this does.
But yeah, I too want this community to reach its potential, and I do want it to be welcoming, so I want the people who complain about the negativity to make it so, without trying to tuck any differing opinions away in a hide-able corner of the forum. That just makes it discouraging for the people who are actually engaging and bothering to be active members of the community, since they will have to be wary of the admin looming over posts, looking for criticism.

Why do they have to be? What do they care if someone has chosen not to see their criticism? For the record, I'll probably never use the filter, but I think it's a good option to try if only because no one is being asked to change their behavior if they don't want to.

I think you miss the point of the filter, though. I think I might speak for others when I say that if I were to use it, it would not be to hide anything that doesn't conform to the way I want to think, it would be that I've already heard the criticisms dozens of times often from the same people. The cumulative effect of that is the source of the toxicity, in my mind, and THAT'S what wears me down, personally.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread