Why the Eververse hate? - A couple points (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 17:50 (2356 days ago) @ Mintz

Every time someone complains about microtransactions or lootcrates, they mention it's OK so long as it's only cosmetic. From what I could tell, Eververse only supplies shaders, ships, ghosts, landspeeders, etc., so why is it so despised?

A) 1 thing some people take issue with in a big way is the sheer amount of total “new content” being added to the game through eververse. Specifically, if you look at all the “new” items added to the game with the latest expansion, about 60% of them are Eververse items. This makes people feel like the MTX storefront is taking up a larger and larger portion of their game.

B) I think the other main issue is the way Bungie has been subtly weaving tendrils between the MTX economy and the rest of the game’s progression system, such that they are not so clearly distinct from each other. There’s the “XP throttling” issue, the ability to buy Mods through eververse, etc. And the tendrils have grown deeper and more complex over time, feeding into the “slippery slope” concerns. Some people (Cody, for example) take issue with having the game direct players to the eververse to pick up XP rewards, because it acts as a constant reminder that there’s a real-money store right there in the tower, when some people would rather do their best to forget it exists.

C) Finally, there’s the RNG loot-box issue built into the bright engrams themselves, which is essentially just a big slot machine.

There’s a huge range of feelings towards these issues throughout the player bass, but I think those are the 3 primary elements that cause most of the controversy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread