very cool. Thanks! (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 08, 2018, 12:58 (2352 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Heh, I was confused for a moment when you mentioned Waypoint. I thought “How did I miss something like that getting posted on Halo Waypoint?”. I felt guilty for a moment (given all the work and time I spent on that site) before I remembered the other “Waypoint” :)

It actually really annoys me that Vice chose that name. It's not a bad name if it existed in a vacuum, but it doesn't. Surely someone on their team must have known that Halo Waypoint existed already?

I think by the time Vice Waypoint came along, 343 had pretty much abandoned the “Halo Waypoint” brand. They still have the URL, but they revamped the Xbox App into the “Halo Channel”, and dropped the name “Waypoint” from their web portal completely, as far as I know (all this was a little after my time with them, so I could have the details wrong). But yeah, the word “Waypoint” is still very much associated with Halo in my mind.

They actually talk about that. They operated under Vice Gaming for a month or two while Austin built what Waypoint be and figured out the name. They did podcasts and explicitly called out Halo Waypoint during their talks about the name of the site, but just decided there wouldn’t be enough confusion for it to really matter. I’m in agreement—Halo Waypoint seemingly died long before this came along.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread