From my perspective, there is a lot that doesn’t make sense (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 05, 2018, 10:39 (2355 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Does it? I wouldn't mind if they took some liberties for the sake of gameplay. Modifiers, dynamic encounters that change depending on the situation, etc...

These would be ephemeral "challenge" variants of the main story missions that come and go as needed.

So you are saying, beat the campaign like everyone else in the same style but them open them up to be replayed with different variations? Because I'm pretty sure that exactly describes the strikes that were incorporated into the main mission :D

I’m not at all a fan of the “strikes as story missions” thing done in CoO. I actually thought the way the strikes were implemented in Vanilla Destiny (pre-Questification) worked well; complete a series of story missions in a given region, and cap off that area with a 3-player strike that acts as a sort of local boss fight. It had a great rhythm. The CoO thing just felt like trying to stretch as little content as possible out into a full expansion.

I'm actually okay with both. I think they did a great job with the VO in them to imply you had already beaten the bad guy but that he is back.

As I mentioned in my massive rant above, the dialog didn’t really work for me. At best, it was ok. But some of the dialogue was so thoughtless and stupid that it made the characters look moronic.

Besides, I think what is being suggested is not a merging of strikes and story missions. I think the idea is to have story missions built with little variants or encounter modifiers thrown in, so that they’re slightly different each time you replay them. Similar to what has been done with Strikes in the past.

I agree that that would be great. In a previous post I mentioned that they would also be constrained even more than the variations of strikes because of the nature of the story line. It can totally be done and it would also make the story have more flavor.

For story missions, they wouldn’t necessarily need new dialogue. Maybe just a few different variations of the enemy encounters?

Ideally, this wouldn’t be necessary at all. It would be amazing if the missions were designed in ways that presented the player with options (like “do I take the tank, the warthog, the chopper, or do I go on foot?”). Options like that create inherent replayability.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread