Nailed it. (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 16:21 (2355 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I like it because it's just dumb fun.

That last word is the key.

It's a game that fundamentally doesn't seem to care about "balance". It just has dumb, wacky guns. There's a whole line of guns that instead of reloading, you just throw the gun and it blows up. Guns that yell at you and make stupid mouth noises for shooting sounds. And most of the base guns are just completely random. They created a bunch of gun parts, each with it's own unique perk, and then the game just randomly rolls them into a gun.

Yep. They will fix something if it's utterly breaking the game, but beyond that it's pretty much "meh." Borderlands follows the rule of awesome more than possibly anything else I've ever played.

People shit talk on the writing and humor

Who the fuck is doing that? And that's not just me talking, every bit of game criticism/review I ever saw about BL2 praised the comedy, and rightly so.

but I guess I'm just a giant twelve year old because I thought it was hilarious.

You don't have to be a kid to appreciate the subtle genius of the pretzels line, which is pretty much your intro to Handsome Jack, aka the funniest video game character I personally have ever experienced:

And unlike Destiny, it has what feels like a fleshed out world that I can explore, talk to NPCs and learn about things, a fun car to drive around. I honestly care much more about the world and story in Borderlands than the one in Destiny, because, unlike with Destiny, it feels like the developers actually give a shit about it too, even when it's sort of stupid.

This is completely true. I have way more attachment to Scooter or Mad Moxxi than any character in Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread