Implausible. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 09:03 (2356 days ago) @ Funkmon

Bingle did it all on their own anyway, and it wasn't an Activision thing. Maybe they would be able to pull the plug on their own.

I don't see how a single person can consider that plausible.

Not that I don't think it possible that Bungie or someone there could and would devise the notion of supplementing studio income with MTX.

What is not plausible is that they did it BEFORE someone at Activision thought of it, or before a lawyer inserted language into agreements between Activision and Bungie about who would control any such revenue.

From what I understand, and I'm absolutely open to being severely corrected here, is that like most other things, the lion's share of MTX income generally goes to publishers and is shared with developers according to contractual agreements, and not the other way around.

Most dev deals amount to getting up-front payments to cover operating expenses while you develop a game, in return for giving up control over the revenue stream. So the publisher gets paid directly by sales, the developer gets paid directly by the publisher, and then incentives and other revenue shares are doled out according to the agreement as milestones are hit, including sales targets and things like metacritic scores.

I do not believe for one second that Bungie can, at this point, unilaterally close the Eververse.

If the problem truly is that Bungie's toolchain is still so broken that they can't hit DLC release targets and need MTX to make up the difference, they should pour every dollar they get from Eververse into fixing the damn toolchain and then shutter it immediately. The goodwill they would earn by this is invaluable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread