From my perspective, there is a lot that doesn’t make sense (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 14:56 (2351 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I wish there was a system where we could only pick up certain types of weapons in the campaign. For instance, an SMG or a grenade launcher would be an option to pick up, but it would be your MIDI Minitool or Wicked Sister if you'd unlocked those options. If the designer wanted to give you something special, they'd give you a particular exotic to pick up. I think this would allow the designers to go deeper into how areas feel in terms of pacing and combat. Right now, combat is largely same-y outside of raid encounters.

Or some system where you couldn't just switch weapons at will. I'm not saying this is the solution, but if every activity was locked loadout, you'd have to think a little more with your weapon selection. You could steamroll one part, but then be at a disadvantage in the next.

I feel like this isn't even possible though because of the double primary thing. You're always going to have something for the proper range on hand.

My Xbox playthrough of D2 was close to this, because I powered through so quickly that I had very few weapons in my loadout. I’d play through several missions stuck with a sidearm and an smg as my primary/secondary combo. Strangely enough, it made the campaign a lot more fun, because I didn’t always have the ideal tools for the job.

I miss games where you entered the battlefield with "these" weapons and if you depleted their ammo you would have to come across a resupply drop or pick up enemy weapons. It's getting pretty boring doing everything with the same scout rifle all the time. (It's time to eliminate "loadouts.") Halo missions had great replayability because of this. It always changed and you would have to adapt new tactics on the fly based on the situation. Destiny missions are identical every time. I would say that the CoO Heroic missions changed things up but they are all always "active", except for sometimes "The Runner" is available. It's the only heroic mission I've played and I'm yet to understand any type of modifier. That mission is so annoying.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread