From my perspective, there is a lot that doesn’t make sense (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 12:40 (2356 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yes, it was free if you didn’t buy anything from Eververse. But my answer is simple: I want GOOD content in Destiny. Free or paid, large or small, I want the content in the game to show the same standards of quality that made me love Bungie in the first place. The brilliant mechanics, combat, and encounter design that made each of their Halo games so damn incredible.

That's not really going to happen.

You have games that were developed over the course of years, with relatively few campaign missions that were given lots of attention. The Halo games were a large package, where everything was integrated well with everything else. Nothing was 'standalone'. The entire focus of the Halo games was a great single player experience. If Destiny 3 can ship with the equivalent of 10 raid lairs right out the gate, then yeah. You can get quality missions like Halo.

You also have to think about what sprint and the movement abilities do to combat. Halo was always a game of territory - taking and holding positions, pushing against enemies. Perhaps this worked so well because you were so much slower than other FPS games. You couldn't really run circles around your enemies or get from place to place in a flash. They say sprint has no place in Halo - yet you are longing for a game like that, but which has sprint and crazy movement speed and abilities. Try sprinting through as much of the game as you can… you can literally run through most of Destiny and Des2ny.

Think about the fact that they can't even ship a raid with each new expansion. Quality content just takes a long time to make. Halo worked because they spent a long time making the game, the dropped it on you all at once.

For what you want to work, there needs to be:

1. Much larger, more infrequent releases. Perhaps no DLC at all, but rather just sequels every 3 years.
2. No more focus on grinding and replayability of missions. This makes them boring and short.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread