Jason "One Final Effort" Jones (Destiny)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, January 08, 2018, 10:00 (2352 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Heh... I thought so. But I’d never actually heard anything about Jason leaving. In fact, I specifically remember Joe Tung on an old episode of the Bungie podcast talking about doing some Halo 3 co-op playtests with Jason Jones, so he was certainly around through most of Halo 3’s development (unless my memory is just completely 100% wrong... which is possible ;p).

So I googled it, and the only things I could find about Jones leaving Bungie were forum threads about Joe Staten leaving in 2013, and the writer of the thread getting their names confused lol

There are a lot of good quotes from that"Untold Oral History of Halo" from Waypoint that help make it clear when Jason had checked out or even left. Just as telling probably are the portions where Jason isn't even mentioned.

Here is just one of the more direct quotes from Joe:

Jason vaporized at the end of Halo 2. He went on his long sabbatical out of the blue, and it was left to us to figure out who was going to lead the Halo team. At that point Bungie as a group was really rudderless, if not quite leaderless, really.

Edit: here is another choice excerpt:

JAIME GRIESEMER
We didn’t see Jason for a while after Halo 2 shipped. We had a cut-out of him printed out on cardboard, and we put it in the corner of the room.

MARTY O’DONNELL
We would just stand that up in meetings.

JAIME GRIESEMER
Jason came back toward the end of Halo 3, but wasn’t super involved.

MARTY O’DONNELL
Jason for the most part had very little to do with Halo 3, almost nothing to do with ODST and very little to do with Reach. He was starting work on Destiny because we convinced him to. He was thinking about what else he wanted to do, and travelling a lot. All the while, he was still a Bungie employee. Because, you know, we had convinced everybody that all the magic sauce came from Jason.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread