Free To Play (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, January 05, 2018, 10:47 (2355 days ago) @ narcogen

$60 every 3 years from every Halo fan used to be enough to make the Halo games.

Now, somehow, after launching on 2 additional platforms and adding $40 a year of DLC, somehow that's not enough to make Destiny without also adding MTX, while at the same time the general opinion seems to be that while Destiny offers more hours of play, it actually offers less content than the Halo games did-- the additional hours are taken up by repetitive tasks designed to place barriers between players and items or other activities.

That's ignoring quite a bit though. For instance:

Yes, there are all sorts of caveats to the list above.

But even so, I personally think the idea that a Halo game lines up anywhere near one to one with Destiny 1 on a cost basis is silly in the extreme. Yes, Destiny certainly cost more over its 3-ish year life time, but I think that cost is easily justified by the bug fixes and core game and UI additions, the ongoing flow of new single player and multiplayer content, and the ever changing and expanding weapon and armor options we received over Destiny's lifetime.

And, so far, I think we are seeing this trend continue with Destiny 2. Sure, in many ways I wish Destiny and Destiny 2 were more Halo-like, but it typically took me less than a day to complete the single player of a Halo and three years before Bungie delivered its next campaign. In that regard, I like the Destiny model much much better.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread