Bad Analogies continued (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 10:56 (2356 days ago) @ narcogen

I guess I get the discomfort with being able to buy a chance to get something that gives you some kind of buff, but otherwise I can't relate. Do the people bothered by this live in a city? When they walk past shop windows and see things that they COULD BUY (if they chose to), is that traumatic for them?

No, and this is in no way analogous, which I think you know.

What it is analogous to is having a homeowners' association vote to mandatorily place a vending machine in your living room after you've paid for the house.

Maybe it's more like a restaurant. Not a super fancy one, but like a Red Robin, where you go to chill with your friends to eat near the airport while you wait to pick them up. As you eat, you can see the dessert menu in front of you. You already paid for your meal, but it's there, in your face. Now, once you're done eating, the server asks if you've saved any room for dessert? Sure, you probably would have asked for dessert if you were interested, but he/she just threw it in your face. Most people recognize that the dessert isn't really that good and is just a way for the restaurant to make some extra money. On the other hand, maybe you're really craving that milk shake. Most people just say no thank you and move on with their lives. Something drastically different happens on the internet.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread