Why the Eververse hate? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, January 08, 2018, 14:57 (2352 days ago) @ Mintz

Every time someone complains about microtransactions or lootcrates, they mention it's OK so long as it's only cosmetic. From what I could tell, Eververse only supplies shaders, ships, ghosts, landspeeders, etc., so why is it so despised?

The ghost shells breach the divide between "purely cosmetic" and "provide an unfair advantage." The exotic ghost shells work on all worlds and most also provide unique abilities which make acquiring other items easier. They are vastly more powerful, useful, and better looking than their non-exotic counterparts.

Personally, I think there's a second egregious transgression in microtrans land, which is the slot-machine gambling nature of some of the purchase options. This isn't a Bungie problem so much as it is, in my esteem, and entire game industry problem. I'm more willing to accept it in a free to play game than I am in a full price AAA game. Furthermore, with Bungie's exp throttling coming to light, it means grinding for gambling has been made more difficult than it seems, which makes me wonder where else Bungie has their finger on the scales in order to make paying actual money more attractive to players than actually playing the game to earn rewards.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread