It's Over (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 02:16 (3165 days ago)

Even before Destiny was announced I correctly predicted the manipulative elements and general crassness of the game design. I correctly predicted the weak story (though I was wrong about HOW bad it was). Yet here I am entering year two, and I'm still here playing. Why? I keep telling myself that it's because there's a good game underneath all that. That it's worth toughing out the abusive and manipulative systems in place. That it will change for the better. You know who else says that? Battered Women. (Please note I am in no way suggesting that a fucking video game is as bad as being beaten by your spouse.)

"Yeah, he hits me, but when he doesn't he is loving and amazing, and he's going to change".
"Yeah, the grind and RNG suck, but the raids are amazing, and they are actively trying to improve".

Even though I was aware of the tricks being pulled, even though I predicted them, even though I knew they were bad, I still bought into it! That's how powerful that all is! Miguel, I really have to hand it to you because you put it all in perspective when talking to CruelLegacy. You're right. I got sucked in. Rather than admit it, I rationalized. The raids are good… Trials is good…

Go here and punch in your gamertag. I've got 858 hours. That's FIVE WEEKS. In a game that's 85% empty calories, that means I've spent nearly 4 and a half weeks basically being miserable in this game. Wow. And I'm supposed to do this for NINE MORE YEARS?

It's not going to get better. I was right before, and I'm right about that. I thought about sticking around just for the inevitable storytelling analysis but why bother? If Bungie fixes things… then great. But if they don't, there's no point in saying the same old stuff.

But, now I can admit I succumbed to the very things I decried. At least now I have the fortitude to actually leave.

It's sad, but better sooner than later.

Goodbye posts are so cliche aren't they? See you starside…

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread