Too long; do not read (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 30, 2015, 16:18 (3195 days ago) @ Kermit

Great post, Kermit.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense to me. But if I may, I'd like to offer a slightly different take.

I'm going to speak 100% about my own feelings here. Not the community in general, popular opinion, or any of that stuff.

I let my Destiny freak flag fly daily. I'm wearing a Destiny T-shirt right now. I make and share videos about it, I talk about it on Facebook & twitter, I discuss it on my podcast, not because I have to but because I'm enthusiastic about it. I love playing the game, I love playing with all the friends I've made here, and I love the community in general.

All that said, I don't think Destiny is perfect. I sing it's praises from the rooftops, and I also like to talk about my personal problems or dislikes. I don't do this out of some sense of peer pressure to tame my excitement. I gave up trying to be "cool" or "fit in" a long time ago. I think you're bang on when you describe the trend of people taming their own enthusiasm for fear of being jumped on by the jaded mobs of the internet. But personally, that just doesn't apply to me. Not anymore. I listen to Taylor Swift every day, I've watched all but the last 2 episode of Vampire Diaries, I dance around the living room with my daughter in my sweatpants with the curtains open, and I can't wait to see the Minions movie. I have no shame expressing my love or enthusiasm for anything. So if I voice a criticism or negative comment, it is for other reasons all together.

I love Destiny... but I don't love it as much as Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, or Reach. But I think it can be better than any of those games. When I share my thoughts on my personal likes and dislikes within the game, it is not out of a sense of entitlement. I do it because Bungie asks for feedback, and I feel I can provide feedback in a helpful and thoughtful way. I don't expect Bungie to do a damn thing just because I say so. But they have said they want that info from "us" (the Destiny community at large) so I'm happy to do what I can. They can take that info and do whatever they want with it.

THAT is the point of threads like my "ooooh baby moments" post. Bungie has proven time and again that they look, they listen. That doesn't mean I expect them to do anything just to please me... again, I'm just putting it out there for them.

So when Mig describes his ideal DBO as a place where those sorts of posts aren't allowed, I can't agree with him. DBO is precisely the best place for these kinds of posts: a group if relatively mature, thoughtful, dedicated and enthusiastic fans who adore this game and are able to talk about our own personal dislikes without going crazy (most of the time ;p).

If this means there is something wrong with me and I'm bad for DBO (which Mig has said several times now... he just feels he has a chance of redeeming me, unlike others), then I don't really know how to respond. In our quest to curb the trend of pessimism and negativity that runs rampant all over the internet, we need to make sure we're picking the right battles.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread