My theory (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 15:27 (3197 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'll let Mig clarify for himself, but based on what I know, he holds Cody out as a special case. He doesn't think of you as acting like a pompous ass, and he has said as much here. He does, I think, believe that a lot of people are addicted to the game, and you are one of them. I may be, too.

What I'm not is someone who feels that content intended to last for months should be consumed in a matter of weeks. I'm trying not to be a completionist. I don't think that's what Bungie intended, and I think they have been surprised with the intensity with which people play this game. I loved how Mark Noseworthy repeated described NOT PLAYING THE GAME ALL THE TIME in his interviews about the Taken King.

My theory is that Mig feels that the addicts' perceptions are distorted because they are addicts. They gorge on steak and forget how good steak is in moderation. (Sorry, Mig, for that analogy.) There's also a Louis C.K. strain in there--i.e., everything is awesome and no one is happy. Maybe gamers 40 and up just don't have the same expectations as younger gamers, but I don't hear the same kind of feedback from them. You're an excellent video game critic (I knew that before Destiny came out) and I've found your criticisms of Destiny to be fair and constructive even if I disagreed with them, but I also think some of your frustrations with the game are, as Mig described, user-created.

Don't fuck off. I don't even want Cody to fuck off. I would like the forum to not so goal oriented ("I'm here for the Fireteam builder," "Here's how to do this thing to get that thing," "Dammit, Bungie, I hate that I haven't got X--why you make me want stuff I can't have?" [troll face]). I'd like to be more focused on the non-loot that the game has given us (but Bungie has responsibility, too--we do need more story hooks). I like the forum that Mig describes, and I do think he sees himself as a force for good and a lot of what he's doing in these occasional posts as tough love.

TL;DR You're not the problem, but I think Mig sees you as someone who exhibits problematic symptoms but is reachable and can see that maybe they've gotten too close? That sounds condescending, and I don't mean it that way. For myself, coming back to Destiny after even one day off makes it better. When I'm able to stop worry about what I haven't done or gotten, I fall in love again with little things. Your post about no Wow moments made me think about all the moments that were still amazing to me, but perhaps without the oomph they would've had playing as a super-man saving the mother f*cking galaxy. Sometimes its flaws come to the fore, but man, Destiny is an amazing game.

Really TL;DR. You're good, man. I value what you offer. Stay gold.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread