Every angry person here should read this. (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 30, 2015, 19:04 (3195 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is really tough to talk about when you take all comments as though they're directed specifically at you and something you've done, rather than as generalzations about the current state of the forum.

He's saying you should think about the underlying assumptions you make when you are discussing a topic - do you think we all agree that the story is horribly broken? You shouldn't think that. Because it's not true. (You are ABSOLUTELY WELCOME to think the story is horribly broken - but you should leave room in your discussion for people who disagree with you, and you should treat people who SUGGEST that they disagree with you with the respect that you'd like YOUR ideas to be treated with.)

My post here contains no such assumptions. I stated my own feelings, and asked to hear from everyone else. Yet Miguel went out of his way to call me out on it:

In the quote you grabbed, my 'you' was not 'CruelLEGACEY', but 'general forumgoer' - I didn't mean, or want, to suggest that YOU were specifically at fault here, I was trying to explain the problem in general. The only time I pointed out an instance that was SPECIFICALLY about you was in that other post, the one you're planning to address separately.

This is starting to feel like the whole 'not all men' argument. When I point out a problem, if it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply to you. You are under no obligation to defend yourself against it, and saying "this generalization isn't true because it doesn't apply to me" doesn't really add anything useful to the conversation. We're ALL different, and any generalization is going to be incomplete and inaccurate when applied to specific people, so just pass over the stuff that isn't you.

To suggest, however, that because you didn't make those assumptions in a specific post means that NOBODY has made those assumptions in ANY post is simply wrong. That assumption is made regularly on this forum, and its effect is to inhibit discussion by people who don't feel like the story is worse than Hitler, but don't feel like being jumped on if they say that.

(If you're going to make me go back and point out a dozen instances of people getting jumped on for implying the story is above toilet paper clumping on the evil scale, I can do that - but it won't be this week; I don't have time.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread