Follow up. *Really Long Post* (Destiny)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 30, 2015, 23:18 (3195 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Vortech said:

Addressing your post only: I think the difference is that I don't think talking about how halo could have been improved was worth the effort as the game was basically locked. Biggie has shown that they will take community feedback and implement it. Even retroactively making pretty large changes - nit just bug fixes. So that's why I think there are more suggestions for changes here.

I guess I can't argue with that. People in general seem to be more unhappy with Destiny than Halo, so that gets focused on. Halo was very on-the-ball, and provided tons of features that no one had done before; everything was new and awesome.

I dunno. As much of a Bungie fan as I have been, I'm a Mac fan much more and I remember all the anger around Bungie abandoning the platform that made them who they are, and breaking their "promises" by not releasing on the Mac after they showed the demo at MacWorld Expo and allowing their Publisher/Owner to lead them to the evil dark side. All of this sounds SO FAMILIAR, like it was only a year ago…

I remember Penny arcade's scathing criticisms of repetitive content and stupid task-based storyline that leaves so many questions unanswered.

It's made me think, though, about expectations regarding games. Halo: Combat Evolved was pretty much universally loved and hailed as an incredible game, the best of it's time. If it was released today, would anyone give a shit? People expect more from games today. Everyone sort of naturally assumed they knew what Destiny was going to be, and when those assumptions turned out to be wrong, the angry mob emerged. Rather than realizing that Bungie didn't promise the game they were expecting, gamers decided they had been screwed and felt they needed to vent their rage everywhere and anywhere.

I will say I agree that the expectations are greater. Not just for Games in general, but Bungie in particular. People were expecting so much while transitioning between the end of one franchise to the beginning of another and the end of one console generation to the beginning of another.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread