For those talking about recharge rates (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 17:11 (2479 days ago) @ Harmanimus

For me it has less to do with the actual cool down timers and more to do with the reduction in tactical options. The power of all non-super abilities are notably less powerful. Had it just been a power reduction or a cool down nerf I would have an easier time with it as it would still motivate gunplay through either reduced availability (but still potent) abilities or reduced effectiveness. The class abilities get the most play, but it makes it feel more like a one legged stool when Grenades and Melee are a distraction rather than a tool. You can still push a gunfight focus without making that the only available action.

Alternative suggestion for PvP: Grenade, Melee, and Ability pickups spawn on the map. No cool down reduction at the core for PvP, but there are ability energy spawns, like power ups or grenades have spawned on map in games in the past. You could even make it more team friendly by having the pickups be shareable, but that they degrade with each pull (like 40% for the first player to pick up, and then 25-10-5 or something) so that it limits spamming.

It's too early for me to be sure of my feelings on this, but I think the new weapon slot system is the biggest problem. Or maybe it's just the "final" problem? Like if you're going to reduce the player's ability to use grenades and supers and other space magic, then obviously that shifts more of the focus over to the guns (which are already our primary tools, but now moreso). But if the guns also feel less diverse and powerful, then it all just falls flat, doesn't it. I'm cool with shifting more focus towards the guns, but that means the guns need to deliver in terms of variety and excitement and effectiveness. We'll see how it shakes out in the final game, but the Beta is lacking in this regard, IMO.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread