+1 (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 27, 2017, 18:30 (2471 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I continue to think that you underestimate how hard it is to make great video games. I recently listened to a commentary about Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. The main guy who led that team had been a filmmaker with several feature films under this belt. He said making a video game was much, much harder than anything else he had done. I believe it.

I know it's hard. In fact, I will say with certainty that video games are the hardest artforms to make. And as they get more sophisticated (and thus better), they will only get harder. But just because it's hard, doesn't mean you get to not do the things you need to do to get people to care about your story and world. Yes, it's harder, but the rewards are greater. The penalties are also greater if you falter.

You think a filmmaker complains about the daunting task of having to build and shoot wonderful worlds, that an author only has to describe with words? So yeah, you could make that complaint, but then the guy who goes and does it is the one who makes the movies that inspire people.

Is Bungie complaining? We hope for the same things. As usual, I suspect it's that your expression of this hope comes across as entitled arrogance. (It could well be just me.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread