+1 (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 24, 2017, 23:34 (2474 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, July 24, 2017, 23:38

They've probably settled on this beginning early on, and to have built up more extensive new areas just to emphasize the loss the way you would want seems an impractical use of resources. I'm much happier that they've presumably used that time to develop more interesting areas that we could revisit.

This is what ultimately hurt the first game…

I am fully on board with Bungie's renewed interest in storytelling. But these are things you just have to do. You can't assume people will have a connection or care about something just because they are told to. If you want to tell a story, you have to really nail the needed elements! Sometimes it is hard, but you can be efficient and go a long way with a little.

[image]

That one picture does more to make me care about the city than all of Destiny. That one cinematic trailer with Zavala made me care more about him and the world than all of Destiny. Heck, that one shot of little Amanda did more for her character than all of Destiny.

Is anything like that in Des2ny? I hope so.

Moving forward, I predict that in the games industry this 'impractical use' of resources will eventually become necessary. It's the only way to climb out of the aesthetic / mechanical uncanny valley so many games are starting to fall into.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread